The visitors will easily access the history and culture at disposal at the Library after the conclusion of restoration and modernization building services. . The renewed structure enhances its public vocation as a reference for São Paulo downtown rehabilitation process.
The original project was designed by the French architect Jacques Pilon in 1935. The construction ,concluded in 1942; it was remodeled in 1973 and 1991. The building was officially proclaimed as a historical landmark in 1992.
The collection of more than 3.3 million items was physically restrained to expansion and hurt by improper storage conditions; these circumstances definetly demanded the renovation.
The construction has been performed in two phases. First, the structural elements and electric, telecommunication, safety and hydraulics systems have been updated. The collection rooms have accurate temperature and humidity controls required for documents conservation and the public areas are served by comfortable and secure installations.
The new researchers’ sector consists in 16 new individual rooms; 2 rooms for group study and a multimedia room prepared for specific consultation.
With this intervention, the free-access library, comes back to its original location (accessed by Av. São Luiz gate) with a capacity of 60,000 volumes (the current collection is 30,000 volumes).
The project also includes the restoration of the decorative façade and interior building elements and also, the original furniture pieces, designed especially for that purpose. In the second stage of the construction, the Library’s main building has been integrated to an annex building, the IPESP building, granted by the Government of São Paulo. In this building, the hemerotheca (collection of newspapers, magazines, booklets etc) is sheltered into 10 renewed floors, with especially designed conditions for documents conservation With this intervention, the expansion potential will be doubled.. The lower five floors receives completely new facilities to the visitors and to the administrative services.
The main façade will identify the new use of the building, which will be then treated with precast reinforced cement panels, working as sun shading elements to protect the Westside collection.
Client: São Paulo Municipality’s City Hall
Designed Area: 12,000 m² in the main building and 8150m² in the annex building
Address: Rua Consolação, 94 –main building and Dr. Bráulio Gomes Street 125/ 139 - adjacent building, São Paulo - SP
Project: Integrated plan for the restoration and modernization of the Mário de Andrade Library’s buildings – main and annex buildings
Date: 2005/ 2010
Architectural Project: José Armênio de Brito Cruz and Renata Semin.
Coordinating Architects: Cinthia C. Duclerc Verçosa
Collaborators: Gustavo M. Panza Juliana Gomes Trickett, Marco Artigas Forti, Marina Malagonili, Liz Arakaki and Renata Pazero
Scale model: Luis Pompeo Martins and Gabriel Manzi.