The space currently occupied by the Instituto Fernando Henrique Cardoso used to shelter Brazil´s Automobile Club, an association of former engineers that constructed the roads in the 1940s, when Brazil was expanding its thoroughfares.
Located in Sao Paulo downtown, the place has a view of important landmarks, like Viaduto do Chá, Praça Ramos de Azevedo and the Municipal Theater.
The building, designed by the Polish architect Lucjan Korngold in 1951, has a display on the 6th floor of the original interior design by Gregori Warchavchik, a pioneer in Brazil´s modern architecture. These elements were preserved and restored.
The project to fit the former Automobile Club in with the Institute was meant to preserve its originality and implement new ideal conditions for the present activities of the Insitute that was named after the Brazil´s former President.
In order to shelter the historical collection in the basement, the renovation process consisted of waterproofing, lighting and space heating, as well as ventilation for the documents. The collection consists of more than 15,000 books, 550,000 entries on the database system, and the personal library of the Brazil´s former President, who the Institute was named after.
On the 6th floor one can also find the staff´s and the President´s offices, the reception area, the auditorium that fits 70 people, the renovated bar (currently used for small events) and the library.